Swipe left, swipe right, scroll up, scroll down, zoom in, zoom out, screenshot, crop, send to friend for feedback, post to pinterest... Well perhaps you wouldn't pin your potential tinder match on Pinterest but you get my drift!
How hard is it to find your perfect match makeup artist these days? So many insta accounts claiming to be doing this and that, filters, lighting, actual models used - not the beauty of the everyday gal making it near impossible to get a true understanding of how you are actually going to look.
Here I thought I would share with you my 5 top tips of what you need to research first when you start your hunt for your perfect match Makeup Artist:
1) Where is your event/wedding? Start looking locally or nearby for an artist that is actually busy in your desired area.
2) What's your budget? You get what you pay for in our industry, Fast, cheap work often results in makeup that you end up feeling you could have done better yourself.
3) What's your occasion? If you are getting married seek out a bridal specialist. If you need makeup for a school ball seek out someone local and cost effective (if on a student budget). Corporate event/function? Seek out someone who clearly knows what you are trying to achieve and can help you pull your whole look together. Actually that last bit goes for all occasions!
4) Research our reputations - ask around, see who we work with (i.e hair stylists, photographers, venues, florists, wedding shows, wedding directories etc) and read our testimonials from past clients. Scout our social media pages and interact with us to see how engaged we really are with you. The best of us in our industry are always upskilling, are reputable, reliable creatives that truly want you to look and feel your very best.
5) Start gathering images you like the look of - Having examples you can show us of makeup looks you like is really, really helpful. An experienced artist will always have an intuition on what they know will look best on you and how to best enhance your natural features but we need a starting point. Visuals make that sooo much easier than trying to describe it to us as we will probably use different terminology for different looks. Bring as many looks as you like! We will dissect them and create the perfect look for YOU!
This also includes your Hair Inspiration looks - Start collecting images of what your hair will ideally look like. Even if you aren't sold on any in particular - show us what you like. This goes for what you will be wearing also. For weddings, an image of your dress or dresses similar and the bridal party theme/vibe is so very helpful at helping us pin down what you are really going to be happy with.
So that's it, my 5 Top Tips for starting your search for your perfect match makeup artist.
Please feel free to share with anyone you know that is recently engaged or that you know has an important event coming up.
Chat soon, Amy x
Amy has been a makeup professional for over 14 years. Working alongside some of the biggest names in the business such as Bobbi Brown & LOreal Professional. She is supremely passionate about making women feel good about them-'real'selves.